Monday, October 28, 2019

A Fishing Experience with the Gifted

The Gifted

Without any doubt whatsoever it is always amazing to experience fishing with a "like fisherman". Everything just seems to run smoother and there is a mutual understanding of how things are done. The experience can be like a synchronized piscary extravaganza of joy and can leave you with a sense of fishing confidence.

Over the years I have learned that there is more than one way to skin a catfish. You can find successful fishing in many different schools😉 of thought. A rare find however, is the gifted. These are extraordinary fishing companions that just make you a better fisherman. You can recognize them by there humility in all things. They live there life in recognition of a greater power and that being of greater power returns in kind with gifts that make them ever greater people.

Very often the gift they were given was not for the purpose of emptying all the waters of  its living specimens. But rather, their gift is manifested in there fishing abilities. If you will step back and observe them it can make the experience incredible, even enlightening.

The Caller:


The first time I fished with Ryan Johnson I knew I was stepping a bit out of my element. We were going out in his boat and when you do something like that you subject yourself to that person's way of fishing. It is not like you can't incorporate what you know. It's just that you are not working it in your usual and customary way. Ryan introduced me to a way of fishing I had never before experienced. One of his key pieces of fishing equipment was a homemade native American drum. This drum was an amazing spectacle, decorated to the hilt with egyption symbols and inspiring scripture references. When I saw that drum a great feeling came over me. A feeling of surety that this would be a great fishing day.
We set out in his boat to a place that he said he had been thinking about for a long time. We then put out some lines and started to drift. Ryan then took out his drum and offered words of humility and dedication as the transelike rhythm of his drum gave background to what sounded like a primitive song of gratitude. He challenged me to do the same and so I sang a song of redeeming love of my savior. It reminded me of the admonition of Alma who said. " if ye have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, I would ask, can ye feel so now?" I don't know if Alma was talking about an actual song or a song of the heart but, It was brought to my memory none the less. 

It wasn't long after, that the fish started coming in. It really was a great day of fishing. I have sense taken Ryan on a kayak fishing trip and he subjected himself to my way of fishing. We caught a lot of fish but for whatever reason they were all small that day. Don't get me wrong we had a great day. However, I wish Ryan would have brought his drum.

Fishing with Ryan Johnson:





The Finder:


Yes Tanner can find it. I have seen him find car keys on a frozen lake 6 inches under the ice. One time I lost an entire kayak on a river for 2 days. He found it. (The story click).
 It is hard when he is your son. I am always trying to direct him. Do not judge me, he is my son. More and more I realize that he is "The Finder".  Who needs a fish finder when you have a Tanner. He sometimes will back into a spot where there should be fish and cast outside of the spot and nail the school. It blows my mind. The other day I was fishing a fallen branch and I though for sure there was a bass lurking below. I got nothing. I backed off to let tanner in and he said cast right there, pointing at the place that my kayak was previously sitting, and we caught bunches there. He is truly gifted. I know because I raised him and can take no credit for his gift. It comes from above and it sure helps with the fishing. 
Be the Fish

Tanner reminds me of another figure in history that was often accused of being a treasure seeker. 

Fishing with Tanner Greenwood:



The way I see it, their gift is my gift:

Sometimes getting back in the dark is half the fun:




















No comments:

Post a Comment