Tuesday, May 7, 2019

The Healing Power of Hobble Creek: June Suckers


I have always felt that rivers had a sort of healing power. They are the manifestation of water in motion, making life possible as we know it on earth. Today astronomers are gazing through the stars looking for planets in the habitable zone. That is, an orbiting planet that exists at just the right amount of distance from a star to have water in its three stages as we do on earth, liquid, solid  and gas. Yes, it is the search for life. Rivers play a big part of this great part of creation called the water cycle. The Ganges or Ganga Mata (divine mother) has been known for its healing power for the people of India for millennia. Anciently there is the biblical story of Naaman the Syrian commander who was told to dip in the Jordan River to be healed of leprosy. Water has served as an oracle of healing for thousands of years. Can it possibly be that the mountainous rills that fill the stream of water called Hobble Creek, running through the city of Springville, Utah, be a source of healing for a body of water as big as Utah Lake. It could very well be a big contributor.


Before Utah Lake access meant blazing through a sea of phragmites to get to her waters she was surrounded with sandy beaches, cattails and bulrushes. Less than a few hundred years ago, fish that no longer exist used to be so thick in number you could pick them up by hand in a fish harvest to bring life sustaining nutrients for local families. So how did we let it get so bad? Why the change? I suppose there are many factors that have contributed. however, for the sake of simplicity let us just call it mismanagement. We have laid to waste one of the greatest resources in Utah county. 


Don't get me wrong. Utah lake has a beauty that shines through no matter how much we neglect her. She really still wants to break out and give like the mana machine of the valley. 

A New Prospective

The June Sucker has been known for both good and evil when it comes to talking about Utah Lake. So why is this endangered species so important? I suppose there are many scientific explanations of the importance of how they are vital to the restoration of habitat of Utah lake. For me it is a symbol and a remanence of a day gone past. The last artifact that tells the story of a day when Utah Lake access was everywhere and people went there to play and commune with their friends and loved ones. When the ancients gathered for festivals and chose mates so life can continue as we know it.


Life is not like it was in the days of the ancients. There are more people now and much more hindrances that can destroy a beautiful thing like Utah Lake. The Lake needs a fix, and good management starting with Provo Bay. Looking at the futuristic map above might look like a whole bunch of man made interference. Maybe this is true. This area is more populated now then ever in the history of the world. It needs some management.  If you look close on the right side you can see a little stream of water called Hobble Creek. Along Hobble Creek there is some wording that says something about a June Sucker fish hatchery. What? Is this the beginning of a restoration? Can anything good come from Hobble Creek? Hobble Creek is a minor water contributor to the water in Utah Lake but is now becoming a major contributor of the restoration.




Let us Kayak:

The birds were prolific and the access point looked calm enough. I had never been here before so I didn't know what to expect. Following the current of the creek I quickly found myself going through some class one rapids that where swifter than I anticipated. After the third one I started thinking to myself, "I will not be able to paddle back up those rapids". I began to access the scene and spotted a little trail that followed the creek. No doubt used by fisherman. Thinking that I could always carry my kayak out, I continued.


Some video of lower Hobble Creek:


Even in places where it looked deceptively calm the current was faster than I thought it would be. I was still able to paddle most of the way back. However, I had to get out before returning to those rapids and hike out the rest of the way.
This would be a great paddle if you could loop around to Mill race or exit near the airport. I think I will try that when I have more time to explore. (Here it is. I did it. Click)










No comments:

Post a Comment