Sunday, February 4, 2018

Utah Lake: Utah's Paddling Paradise




Utah Lake Measurements
Max. length24 mi (39 km)[3]
Max. width13 mi (21 km)[3]
Surface area95,000 acres (380 km2)[4]
Average depth10.5 ft (3.2 m)[5]
Max. depth14 ft (4.3 m)[5]
My first paddle in Utah Lake was about 13 years ago. I was warned about everything you can think of from friends and strangers alike: The water is freezing. You will get stuck on the bottom and drown. The winds will own you. It is polluted with nasty oook. All good warnings however, I will spare you the rest. Long before my first paddle in the lake I took a greyhound bus to Utah to do the first ever triathlon in the state of Utah. The swim portion was in Utah Lake. As we gathered together for the start I noticed that I was the only one without a wetsuit. Let me just say that snow run off is k-k-k-k-k-cold. It took me half the bike ride to thaw out.
Even after the spring thaw the water is not to far off from where it melted.

“Our route today lay along the border of (Utah) lake. The scenery around was magnificent; the white capped peaks, only rivaled in purity by the clouds overhanging them. Have read of (Lakes) Cumo and Leman, but think they cannot surpass the romance Nature has spread around this beautiful sheet.­Joseph P Hamelin November 7, 1849

Indeed Utah Lake has an amazing history.
(Video produced by the Utah Lake Commision)

Utah is a place of magnificent natural wonders. With places like Canyonlands, Arches National Park, Goblin Valley and many more bucket list items. If you don't know these places it's because you haven't been there. People travel from all over the world to see and photograph these wonders. Too much to do in Utah and warnings of calamities on the lake make Utah Lake a peaceful and delightful journey for a fantastic kayak tour. 

January Paddle: Spanish Fork River/Sandy Beach




River to River

As far as I know 3 of these rivers can be navigated a good distance. I have gone down the Provo river across Provo bay and up the Spanish fork river where I stayed in a friends barn overnight. I then went back down the Spanish Fork River and continued to Lincoln Beach. It was a fun journey that I will never forget. I am hoping for a new adventure in the spring or fall Down the Spanish Fork River across Utah Lake and down the outlet of Utah Lake (The Jordan River). I have never navigated the Jordan River and I don't know how far I can go, or what obstacles I would face so any advice would be helpful.

Jordan River small craft water map (click)




mmmmm! Carp Chowder (click)











No comments:

Post a Comment