Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Kayak: Spanish Fork to the Jordan River



Following the rout of the Taos Trappers (like Kit Carson) we headed west down the Spanish Fork river. Strangely,  in a watercraft that originated in Greenland. Still, the thoughts of nomadic Utes and the earlier day cattle business ventures of Enoch Reese ran through my mind as we ducked low hanging cattle wire and open irrigation dams. Our destination was 31 miles away, a river that was named after the river that Jesus was baptized in 2000 years ago, The Jordan River. We really are a hodgepodge of culture and the people that came before us. Water sources like lakes and rivers are the keys to the past. It is that which made life possible as we know it. Keep them clean and safe for the future.


The Spanish Fork River graciously yielded us the best conditions we could have ever expected. On this April trip in Utah it had rained the day before our journey. That morning it had snowed. When I woke that morning I looked out my window toward my back yard, there was a blanket of snow covering my lawn. My wife says "does that detour you?" Having closely followed the weather reports I gave a stern and confident "nope" and a smile. 

By the time we got to the river the snow had disappeared from the banks. The rain from the day before had cause the river to swell, giving us better passage with fully loaded kayaks through the narrow channels. The snow from the morning had given the river clarity and made it easier to read the submerged rocks that we would need to avoid. It gave me that feeling that God was on my side. 



At the put in we carried the kayaks and our gear down to the sandbar under the bridge and we began to pack  all the gear onto the kayaks. William was the first to be ready and the most anxious to be on the river, consequently he was the first to shove off. Tanner gave everything a double check and with a smile he followed. Everything looked in order as I watched them cut through the river. I put on the old pfd and checked to see if anything was left on the bank. It looked good, so I followed. I couldn't ask for better companions on this trip. My son Tanner, an experienced swimmer and a seasoned life guard and William my son in law a registered nurse. 


We had been on this river before but never had we taken it all the way to Utah Lake or even past interstate 15. I had heard from my friend Matt Long that the tunnel under I15 was navigable. He had done it years ago with my other friend Katie Cope. As we approached the tunnel I took the lead and maneuvered to where I could see the light at the end. "It looks clear" I yelled and asked for some space to get through before Tanner and William approached.  Entering into the darkness I let out with an evil laugh, "boo-ha-ha-ha". The echo of the tunnel really gave it a good effect. The tunnel was clear and as I waited on the other side. I could hear Tanner and William singing there way through the darkness. 


The river was all new territory now and I couldn't help but think in the back of my mind that we were going to find out why people do not navigate this river. We never did find out and inspite of having to duck some cattle wire and a few irrigation dams the river was amazing with muskrats and waterfowl moving out of our path as we progressed.  One irrigation dam was pretty low and William at 6' 4" did have a little trouble however, he still managed and all was well.

When we arrived at the mouth of the river we could see how choppy the lake was. As expected the wind was about 20 mph from the north west. We decided to bunker down and set up camp. We settled down behind a dune and some vegetation to break the wind and it made the camp much more pleasant. 


The wind had settled by morning and the lake was glass. Perfect conditions for our 20 mile paddle to the Jordan River. On the way we saw an otter. Fisherman were catching white bass and walleye. Pelicans, Ibis and other waterfowl were in plenty. The carp were displaying there spawning rituals by leaping frequently from the water and sometimes hitting our boats.  It was the picture of spring. Even as we approached the Jordan River the thought of its namesake that rang true to the newness of spring and an event that happened 2000 years ago.





Video:





















No comments:

Post a Comment